Love thy neighbor? Maybe, but let’s start with “help thy neighbor” first…
- Posted August 15th, 2007 at 2:13 pm by Yahoo! Search
- Categories: Local
Remember the old adage “you reap what you sow?” Well, it’s nowhere more true than in the neighborhoods in which we live. If you’re like me, perhaps you’re tired of seeing your favorite small businesses close due to competitive pressure from a chain store. Who knows, maybe you could’ve helped save that fave if you gave that merchant some kudos and told your neighbors about your great experience.
Well, now Yahoo! Local will help you do just that. We’ve completely overhauled the site to make it easier to contribute your opinion and through a new, updated algorithm, we’re making sure that search results take your ratings and reviews into account. We want to make sure that people’s contributions to Yahoo! Local count in more ways than one.
An example of this in action is the “pizza” in Chicago, IL results which better reflect what the community says is the best pizza in Chicago (obviously a hotly contested debate, we’re not sure we want to get involved in…):
In addition to the improved accuracy of our search results, some of the other new features we’re rolling-out today focus on more ways for you to find what’s best and closest to you:
- Commenting on User Reviews âÃÃ¬ No longer will it feel like shouting into the wind when you write a review. Now the people who benefit from your tips can reply back. You’ll also be able to track comments on your reviews from your My Local page.
- Weekender âÃÃ¬ Offers a weekly selection of events, movies (including show times and reviews), dining picks, and more to help you plan your weekend.
- More “Local Buzz” âÃÃ¬ Shows the top-moving search terms in your hometown with a new search cloud and exposes the most recent reviews of businesses in your area to see what people are buzzing about.
- Best Local Events âÃÃ¬ Taps into the Upcoming social events database to surface the best events in your hometown.
- Most Popular âÃÃ¬ Highlights the best of a city in the key categories of Restaurants, Health & Beauty, and Home & Garden.
- My Local Improvements âÃÃ¬ A new “save for later” feature so you can quickly archive those hidden gems you uncover along with your recent reviews, tags, and collections.
So, make sure to update your profile with a picture or avatar, look up some local favorites, write a few reviews, and comment back on some helpful reviews you discovered along the way.
Got a great idea for what you’d like to see next? Tell us about it on our new suggestion board.
- Brian Gil, Sr. Product Manager, Yahoo! Local
- 0 Comment