Yahoo! Search Trends: Summer Travel Planning
Memorial Day weekend, the official kick-off to the summer travel season is just around the corner and Yahoo! Travel (http://travel.yahoo.com) is revealing consumers’ top searched trips and tips for summer fun.
Increasingly Empty Pockets? With much of the country experiencing record high prices at the pump, consumers are preparing for a long summer of increasing gas prices and seeking advice online about how to avoid taking a hit to their wallets. Recent searches on Yahoo! include best auto-alternatives for family trips and weekend getaways for summer from “Amtrak discounts” (spiking 107%), “bus tickets” (spiking 271%) and “Greyhound bus schedule tickets” (spiking more than 8,426%).
Looking for a cheap, weekend getaway destination? Whether interested in escaping to the beach (searches for “beach chairs” are up 220%), on a rustic camping trip (Yogi Bear Campgrounds up 309%) or in celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War (“historic travel” up more than 500%), there is something for every traveler this summer, but it is clear from online searches that it must be cheap. General thriftiness is a reoccurring theme this year as searches for “cheap travel” are spiking more than 314%, “cheap holidays” up 269% and “low air fares” spiking 366% this week on Yahoo! Travel.
According to Yahoo! Travel, Top Searched Destinations are:
- Las Vegas
- North Carolina
- New Orleans
According to Yahoo! Travel, Top Searched Beach Destinations include:
· Nag’s Head (searches are up 585%)
· Nantucket (searches are up 520%)
· Florida Keys (searches are up 49%)
· North Carolina Beaches (searches are up 40%)
· Mackinac Island (searches are up 20%)
Road Tripping: Some searches on Yahoo! suggest that people plan to head out in the family car this holiday season with “printable maps” spiking 213%, “driving directions maps” spiking 51% and “mileage calculator” spiking 42% this week. In honor of these travelers, Yahoo! Travel editor, Deborah Hopewell identifies the must-take road trips that are realistic and easily accessible for people across the country from the coasts all the way to the plains.
Five Best Summer Road Trips According to Yahoo! Travel:
1. Black Hills of South Dakota – Iconic Mount Rushmore is the big-name attraction, but a drive through the granite spires and pines of Black Hills includes everything from Wild West gold-rush kitsch (Deadwood), free-ranging wildlife (bison, big horn sheep, prairie dogs) and scenic day hikes to stretch road-weary legs (try Cathedral Spires Trail on the Needles Highway).
2. California’s Big Sur Coast – Start with a visit to the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, where you’ll learn more about the sea life that live just below the vertigo-inducing cliffs you’re about to drive along, then end with a visit to the fabulous Hearst Castle at San Simeon.
3. Overseas Highway, Florida – From Key Largo, near Miami, a series of bridges and causeways means you’re driving over beautiful blue waters for more than a hundred miles, until the end of the road in Key West, the southernmost point in the continental U.S.
4. Blue Ridge Parkway – From Shenandoah National Park to Great Smoky National Park in North Carolina, every twist in the road reveals stunning mountain and valley vistas. Charming inns and great restaurants dotting its 470 miles make it worthwhile to take your time.
5. Texas Hill Country – From Austin, south to San Antonio then west to Junction, the Hill Country is chock full of colorful Texas towns. Don’t miss authentic German food (and beer!) in Fredericksburg, country music in Gruene, and any number of rivers to inner-tube down when it comes time to cool your heels.
According to Yahoo! Travel, Top Searched National and State Parks include:
· Grand Teton National Park (searches are up 1258%)
· Shenandoah National Park (searches are up 640%)
· Yellowstone Park (searches are up 322%)
· State Parks (searches are up 139%)
· Ohio State Parks (searches are up 102%)
According to Yahoo! Travel, Top Searched Historical Travel Destinations include:
· Fort Sumter (searches are up 1520%)
· Greenfield Village (searches are up 884%)
· Gettysburg (searches are up 220%)
Yahoo! Travel has made it easier for travelers to find the best travel deals with new exclusive deals and offers.
- 18 Comments